I haven’t always been in the same position that I am in now. I have to admit, life’s current going great and things are only getting better. However, I used to be broke and thought I had zero options. Instead of blaming people and focusing on the negatives, I started building up skills that would pay off later down the road.
This development plan will show you the steps for laying a solid base. I promise you that if you can keep up with these 7 areas of development, you will be way ahead any of your peers. By putting in the work now, you will receive dividends later on down the road.
When it comes down to it, life is all about developing good habits. It’s a lot easier said than done though. When you are first starting out, finding the motivation to work on your skills and talents won’t come easy.
You just have to keep the final goal in mind. You must learn to crave satisfaction. It’s different than craving a food. Attaching a positive mental connection to the correct behaviors is how you will lay the building blocks for long-term gains.
There are certain things you can do though, that have a stronger effect than others. You have to be smart about it; your time is valuable. Making sure to pick the right activities is key to making sure you actually reach your goals.
Professional Development Plan
- Exercise. Making sure to get the proper amount of exercise will keep you strong and healthy. Think this doesn’t play over into productivity? Think again. Hitting the gym before a long can increase your productivity dramatically. Give it a shot and you’ll know what I mean.
- Meditation. This isn’t about hippy rituals. This is about stepping away mentally from the noise that constantly bombards us on a daily basis. Finding time to appreciate mindfulness will pay dividends over a lifetime.
- Reading. If you aren’t filling your brain with knowledge, you aren’t growing. It really is that simple. But, if you still aren’t convinced, consider this. When someone writes a book, they spend an enormous amount of effort and energy to create an easy-to-digest medium where you can gain all of their lifelong insights and wisdoms for a few dollars. The best part? They want their work to sell. This means they are pouring their souls into their creations. You are getting this entire “knowledge drop” delivered straight to your noggin.
- Nutrition. This is another obvious one. If you aren’t handling your diet effectively, you are putting yourself at long-term risk. If you are going to take the time to work on yourself and follow a personal development plan, then also put in the time to learn about eating to fuel your body and not your taste buds.
- Financial Awareness. If you don’t know what you are doing with your money, you are heavily missing out on creating a better future for yourself. And, if you don’t have a lot of money coming in, you need to reevaluate your approach. It’s okay; not everyone gets it “right” on the first try. To start, educate yourself on building online income streams.
- Current Events. If you don’t know what’s going on in the world, you are putting yourself in danger. Physical danger? Maybe, but not necessarily. However, what you are putting yourself at risk to is the possibility of someone taking advantage of you for your lack of knowledge. Just look at politics. Any informed voter will clearly see that 99% of politicians are liars (Trump can’t be bought like the others; he’s got out vote). If you know the facts, you know the truth, and you can’t be fooled.
- Social Skills. If you can’t communicate effectively with other human beings and the world around you, how can you expect to make it very far? Learning to be authentic with others and open when you are around strangers is a skill that just leads to a happier life.
While this list might not be exhaustive, it is a great place to start. As you move forward to make this transition, it will be imperative to start planning out the next day. Failing to plan is the same thing as planning to fail. It’s cliché and nobody likes to hear it directed at them. You just gotta do it.
Using the steps above you can lay the foundation for your own personal development system. When it comes down to it, it’s all about hard work and effort. If you aren’t afraid of those two words, and apply them to the above channels, you will find yourself sailing towards success, both long-term and short-term.